Friday, July 18, 2008

More than the food

Weight loss is a philisophical journey. Some try to boil it all down to energy in vs. energy out. But for those of us on the road, it is never that way. I got it into my head years ago that if I could just lose the pounds my life would be (fill in the blank) and that somehow my problems would go away. And as I lost, a lot of things did change. Wonderful things. But I have discovered that I have to work on being the best me all the time because an overweight jerk will still be a jerk if he loses weight! A certain amount of confidence comes with the successes, but if we are not enough with the weight problem, then we aren't going to be enough just by getting to our goal. Today, I gave the Getting Started session to a young woman (many are young these days!) and at the end I said, "You are worth it." Such a simple concept. I was surprised by the sudden tears. Somewhere along the way she lost the true view of herself as a precious and lovely person and that deep inside she is hiding the truth that will take her where she wants to go. I know she is lying in bed tonight thinking about what I said. If she gets anything from her journey, I hope it is that she is worth all she will do to become the person she is meant to be, even if she never loses a pound. The weight loss will be her bonus.

No comments: