Saturday, August 16, 2008

Mental Illness at Midnight

Ok, so I am writing here at 12:30am because I have nothing else to do while waiting for the canner to finish boiling up the tomatoes. We did 24 jars in four hours. This is while the four youngest Lund children are staying here (due to a reunion trip their parents are taking) through Sunday, Daniel 9, Alison 7, Spencer 5 and Joshua 3. The TV is off due to the grounding now in effect. So Isaac is the amazing boy with endless energy playing, and entertaining this energetic bunch. Which renders him useless on the canning team (except that without him we could never accomplish all this). Tammy and Bethany were completely fantastic tonight blanching, peeling, trimming, cramming, wiping, capping and installing jars into the canner for three consecutive batches. They did an entire batch without me, saying that they wanted to be like Hannah...even though many after her followed in the tradition of doing batches without Mom to help! Now the 45 minutes of the final batch continues to move toward completion. Tomorrow we are gearing up for 36 more jars and then getting a start on the peaches (without Tammy, Dad and Isaac to help at all, which leaves the Lunds, Bethany and me). We have 12 gallon freezer bags full of nectarines (from about one and a half lugs), and a gallon bag full of dehydrated peaches (constituting an entire lug). I am rambling now. All I wanted to say is that it is late and I am the only one up to empty the canner. Life doesn't get better than this.

And I think I am getting sick of eating nectarines.
And I think I gained weight this week.
How much do 15 nectarines weigh anyway?
The canner is done, so am I.
I weigh in tomorrow.
Sweet.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

They want to be like Hannah? I love it! I am glad my name is still famous around my old stomping grounds! YOua re so awesome Mom!