Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Another midnight vigil

Hey girls! It is seriously 1:37am and I am, this time, waiting for the applesauce to get done in the boiling water bath. Scene: Mom and Isaac slicing and inspecting a total of three lugs of apples, cooking them down, one batch at a time, spooning the steaming soft apples into the Victorio while Isaac cranks out every last crank, adding cinnamon, filling the jars, wiping the rims, setting the caps, twisting the rings, processing them in four batches, taking each carefully out and admire the handiwork, while listening to the pop of the sealing of the 32 jars here and there over the next few hours. In fifteen minutes I will join the rest of the family (including Isaac who had to be forced to quit helping me) for a short night's sleep. And by the way, every one of the 32 pints we canned tonight are for Grandma Dotty. Tomorrow we will finsh up the last ones for us.

I am a bit over the top as I have stacked in the hallway all the fruit boxes as they empty just so I can admire (and remember) the volume I have accomplished over the last two weeks. Seeing how far we have come is essential to our vitality. Journals, before photos, memories and gatherings at family reunions when we remenisce (sp?), all help us keep our perspective.

I just learned how to play speed scrabble. Move over Settlers of Zarahemla! I am hooked. As I nuked the field with the highest score, Naomi, having a lousy hand that round says, "Like my life sucks right now!" I have no idea why it struck me so funny--not able to talk, cheeks in a state of permanent seizure, everyone in a laughing fit over my sudden grip of laughter--but it did. Like Sarah said, with Naomi every day is like a musical, or in this case, a tragedy (or was that a comedy?).

2 comments:

Sarie said...

Mom- you really GIVE a lot. Give to your mom, give to the kids. You gave us so many experiences like those late night canning work sessions. (child labor??) Anyway, it really makes me want to be a part of it all.

And speed scrabble is the best! We learned it from Donna who learned it from Levi and his wife. So much fun. Watch out for those Naomi attitudes! She does NOT like this game when she is losing.

I love you Naomi. And mom.

best mom ever said...

Sarah, I think Naomi does not like the game at all. I think games in general are on her black list. She tried to wriggle out of playing with us before we even got started. But playing with her is so much fun and always turns out to be such an adventure. And thank you for those kind words. I am just glad I don't have to move out; I get to keep having these experiences. I AM a little burnt this morning though.