Sunday, December 13, 2009

PERFECT Hard-boiled Eggs...FINALLY!!!

I don't know about y'all, but I'm hit and miss when it comes to hard-boiled eggs. There's that pesky shell in the way that completely blocks your view of the inside so it's a guessing game as to if and how well they are done. I wish I could say I figured this genius idea out on my own, but alas, I found it on the internet! Couldn't NOT pass it on though, since I just got done eating the most perfectly boiled egg I've ever had. Try it!!

1. Put eggs in a single layer in a saucepan or pot, put JUST enough water to cover them.

2. Put a few shakes of salt (helps with the peeling) and a 1/2 T of vinegar (this helps with the cracking). I used only salt and they did not crack, and peeled like a dream!

3. On a gas burner: Put the pan on the burner and crank it up to high. As soon as the water begins to boil (not a huge rolling boil, just the little bubbles coming up quickly and regularly), remove from heat for a few seconds, then place the pan back on low heat for one minute. After the minute, remove eggs from heat, cover, and let sit in hot water for 12 minutes. On an electric cook-top: Crank the burner to high and bring to a boil, same as above. As SOON as you get a good boil going, turn the burner off and let the eggs sit for one minute (the residual heat from the cook-top will keep them simmering). After the minute is up, cover, remove, let sit in hot water for 12 minutes.

4. Have a bowl of ice-water ready and use a slotted spoon to remove from hot water into ice water. You can also use super cold tap water, run it over the eggs for a few minutes to cool them.

5. Using this method it is nearly impossible to over-cook the eggs (you know, when you get that gross greenish gray film around the yolk), even if you accidentally leave them in the hot water for 15 or 20 minutes.

Try it, it's awesome!!!

Love you all,
Rachel

1 comment:

miriam said...

I'm totally going to try that! Thanks for the idea rach!